Easy Handmade Pumpkin

Like many others, I enjoy changing up my decor for holidays, and the change of seasons.  But, I prefer to not purchase a lot of seasonal or holiday items in the pursuit of said decorating.  I tend to challenge myself to spending only a minimal amount of money and to use items I either already have on hand, or something I have made.

With the Fall season, we also have the two holidays Halloween and Thanksgiving, and pumpkins are certainly represented for all of those.
I wasn't wanting to purchase more pumpkins for now that,
a) I wouldn't use long, or might not last long if they were fresh.
and...
b) If artificial, I didn't want more stuff or bulk to store away when the season was over, either.  

I like recyclable, reusable, or even disposable, if at all possible.  I know fresh pumpkins fall into that category and all, but I also wanted to keep to a more neutral, or lighter style.  I have noticed a change with more cream, and white pumpkins available, which is a welcome change for me, since it goes well with my decor.  And, dare I say I am not really in love with the color orange.  

Well, often I'll be doing one thing and an idea comes to mind.  Case in point, I was gathering up my plastic shopping bags to put away after a trip to the store, when it came to me.  The bag of bags was familiar in shape.  Kind of like ...a pumpkin!  It took me only a matter of a few minutes to gather up a couple other items, and I then had myself a new pumpkin.  I think it's adorable, too.







~ Easy Handmade Pumpkin ~





These are so easy to make:
I began by putting several of the plastic bags inside one bag.  I placed it on a square cloth napkin, then gathered the corners up together and tied on a piece of jute/twine.  I carefully tucked in the sections below the gathered area.

Next, I wrapped the twine around in a criss-cross pattern several times, slightly moving over each time to form the pumpkin sections, then ending at the top.  Next to form the stem, I started wrapping the jute twine neatly around at the top of the pumpkin, firmly and close together each time I made a wrap around it.

The stem looked as if it would be a bit too long, so I folded the extra napkin-tips in half before I started wrapping with twine.  I continued wrapping the twine around, until I liked the look of the stem.

I finished it off with a little bow around the base of the stem.  I adjusted the sections as I pulled and squished-(technical term) the pumpkin into shape, trying not to be too fussy with it.



Ta-da ...a Pumpkin!  

And, I like that this pumpkin is also recyclable.  I won't have to store it away either, but, if I do, it is soft and can flatten to take up less space!   And, it was basically free, since I already had all of the materials at hand.  I have more napkins, bags, and jute twine ...hmm, there just may be more of these Easy Handmade Pumpkins making an appearance around here real soon!  


Sure enough!






Happy Crafting!...





.

.

.

.
Tammy is the design enthusiast behind the blog, Tips, Treats & Treasures, where her creativity is explored with a mixture of her artistic abilities and style through her home decorating, thrifty finds, DIY and creative craft projects, along with her family favorite recipes. She shares through her blog her ideas and helpful tips on everything she has learned over the years and much of which she is passionate about in the hope of inspiring others, with her own unique style storytelling.