French Toast - My way


I had a few requests for how I prepare French Toast after sharing a photo recently.  I figured most folks already know how to make French Toast, but, for those who wanted to know how I prepare it, I'm happy to share with them my recipe and how I go about it!  



I enjoy french toast, and often forget how good it is when I haven't had or made it in a while.  I find it's best when I use thick-cut texas toast style bread.  It makes all the difference if you ask me! 





While living in England I learned through friends we met there that they call French toast - "Gypsy toast," and they don't put syrup on it.   What?  I couldn't image not having syrup!  They thought it was yucky that we put syrup on ours.

I must have maple syrup and of course some butter, and a little sprinkle of powdered sugar.   If you've got a hungry-man make him three slices.  Although, one to two are more than enough, especially if there is going to be some bacon, ham, or sausage to go along with your french toast!




I make an egg mixture to dip the bread slices into one at a time, letting them soak up some of the mixture while turning the slices over a couple of times.  I then place each dipped bread slice aside until all slices have been dipped in the egg mixture.

I tend to use more eggs when preparing my french toast as to have plenty of mixture to dip the bread slices into, and because I use thick slices of bread.  I like for the bread slices to get ample amounts of the 'egg mixture' because this is where a lot of the flavor comes from via the added flavors in it. 






I have the perfect non-stick griddle for cooking my french toast.  This covers two of the burners on my stove and works well.  I use a little spray oil on the griddle first, then cook the dipped bread slices over medium heat, turning occasionally until nice and golden brown.  If you want, butter can be used instead of the spray oil, because "what's not to love about that?"...just be sure not to turn the heat up too high!

When ready, I cut each slice on the diagonal, then top with a sprinkle of powdered sugar just before serving.  That's optional of course, I just like adding it for looks and a touch of added sweetness.  Everyone gets to add the amount of butter-or not and syrup that they want, then all are happy.  Mmmm ...French Toast for breakfast!





French Toast 



Ingredients:
6 slices of thick-cut texas toast style bread
5 Eggs
1/2 cup milk, half & half or heavy cream
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
cooking spray/oil for pan or griddle, or 2 tablespoons of butter


Directions:
In a medium sized bowl add eggs, milk, cinnamon, nutmeg and vanilla, whisk together until well blended.  Heat large skillet or griddle over medium heat.  Pour egg mixture into a shallow bowl or pie pan wide enough to place in a slice of bread.  Dip each slice into the egg mixture, turn over allowing the bread to soak in some of the mixture.  Place the slice aside on a plate or sheet pan then continue until all slices have been dipped and set aside.  Use spray oil or melt butter on heated skillet/griddle then place dipped slices on to cook until golden brown, then flip and cook other side until golden brown.  Cut each piece on the diagonal, sprinkle with powdered sugar(optional), serve with butter and syrup. 




Enjoy!...






.

.

.

.
Tammy is the design enthusiast behind the blog, Tips, Treats & Treasures, where her creativity is explored with a mixture of her artistic abilities and style through her home decorating, thrifty finds, DIY and creative craft projects, along with her family favorite recipes. She shares through her blog her ideas and helpful tips on everything she has learned over the years and much of which she is passionate about in the hope of inspiring others, with her own unique style storytelling.