Old Fashion Roses made of Paper




These paper roses above remind me of old fashioned roses, kind of like the ones pictured here below.



I love roses, all kinds of roses.  Of course top of the list is real roses, but I also like silk roses, or faux roses too, after all I am a crafter.  Now I have a new appreciation for paper roses.  I've been making paper roses, I made them using crepe paper ribbon.  I made a few in just a matter of minutes.

I had viewed a few different types of paper flowers, and roses, along with how to make them via a few online searches.  I felt they were a bit confusing or didn't quite offer enough directions though.

I combined all of my new found knowledge into the technique I used to make these crepe paper roses.  I also have a couple of other variations that are slightly different, yet just as easy to make.  I will share my technique for making those too, very soon.

Since I am working on a project in which I will be using this type, I started with that first.  I prepared a few examples of the steps taken to make my paper roses.  They really are easy to make!  All you need is crepe paper ribbon and glue.  I used clear glue, but hot glue works well also, just be careful with the 'hot' glue and use it sparingly.




For each rose I used about a 25 to 30 inch piece of crepe paper.  Folded in half the whole length.



Starting at one end make a fold, forming a small triangle.



Start gently rolling inward forming a thin roll until most of the triangle is gone.  



This starts to form the center of the bud, and you now have a tail between your finger and thumb.



Bend the paper backwards away from you and form another triangle, then again roll gently inward until most of the triangle is gone.


While still holding the tail , fold back again and repeat, fold and roll, fold and roll...



It should look similar to this now. 



I add a drop of glue occasionally throughout the folding and rolling to secure.



Continue around the edge with more folding and rolling.







The longer the paper the bigger the rose!



Add glue at the last fold then tuck the tail backwards and glue it to the back to secure in place.



Back view of the rose.



Finished folding, rolling and gluing.  You could stop here if you like, but I prefer to add the next step.



Now scrunch/squeeze gently all around the petals to puff up a little.



Ta-da!  A Paper Rose!
This helps make them resemble old fashioned roses.


Now make more!  I think each rose is a little different and that is fine.  




Have fun and craft on!...






.

.

.

.
Tammy is the design enthusiast behind the blog, Tips, Treats & Treasures, where her creativity is explored with a mixture of her artistic abilities and style through her home decorating, thrifty finds, DIY and creative craft projects, along with her family favorite recipes. She shares through her blog her ideas and helpful tips on everything she has learned over the years and much of which she is passionate about in the hope of inspiring others, with her own unique style storytelling.