My Favorite Fruit Smoothie

We've all heard it before, "Breakfast is the most important meal of the day!"  Although when it comes to making breakfast for myself, I can admit to being lazy all too often and skipping it.  I know, I know, but I have learned and do realize this is not a healthy way to start my day.  That it won't give me the metabolism boost I desire, especially when trying to lose extra pounds, and I certainly want to get my metabolism revved up for the day if it helps me do that!

I started to see results after watching my diet more closely and including healthier choices, and eating a healthy breakfast.  I really do like having breakfast now, and actually look forward to it, plan for it, and enjoy it!  I don't go all wild, like a full on Uncle Herschel's breakfast everyday-(a favorite choice from Cracker Barrel), but I will have that once in a while as a reward, and because I believe that...deprivation is failure!

I'm choosing to start my day with a better balance of healthy choices now.  One of my favorite quick breakfasts has been a fruit smoothie.  It is quick, simple to make, delicious and very satisfying, also it fills me up and fuels me.  Smoothies have been popular for a while and I can see why!  There are many variations and ingredients that can be used so it's never boring.  I do have my favorites, but occasionally I'll experiment by trying something different and out of the ordinary.  If in a hurry in the morning, this is a great on-the-go take-along.  Kids love these too.  It's like having a milkshake for breakfast!






I'm sharing my favorite fruit smoothie recipe today...Strawberry-Banana!

I think it's great for breakfast or an afternoon snack, and I also make this for my lunch if I haven't had one at breakfast.  This is a basic recipe and can be changed by using different flavor combinations.  That's one of the great things about smoothies, the limitless options!

I tend to always have frozen bananas and strawberries on hand, I simply peel ripe bananas, half them and then place them in freezer bags, then freeze.  I remove the leaf tops from fresh, clean, dry strawberries then place those in separate freezer bags, then freeze.

This works well for most fresh fruits so I am always keeping an eye out for sales on fresh fruits so I can buy extras to freeze.  If you are looking for another great way to add more healthy greens to your diet, a handful of spinach is an added nutritional benefit too, and I can't taste that it's in there!(the color will change, but not the taste!  If the green smoothie appearance bothers you, just put it in a non see-thru cup!)

Juice can be used for the liquid in this recipe if you like.  Typically I have used fat-free milk instead of juice, but I discovered almond milk recently and I've found that I love it!  I prefer using almond milk instead of juice for a creamer fruit smoothie, and the extra nutritional benefits of the almond milk.  I also use a protein powder for the added protein.  I like to add in a few ice cubes too.  I just throw all the ingredients into my Ninja blender and mix until well blended....pour it up and then enjoy!



~ My Favorite Fruit Smoothie ~

Strawberry-Banana Fruit Smoothie


Ingredients:
1 cup almond milk, or fat-free/low fat milk, or juice- orange or pineapple
1/2 to 1 scoop of protein powder
1 frozen banana - in pieces
2 large or 3 small frozen strawberries
1/2 cup ice cubes - more can be added for addition thickness
Optionals-
1/4 cup almonds
1/2 to 1 cup fresh spinach
1 to 2 packets of sweetener(I use Stevia) if sweeter is desired


Directions:
Place all ingredients in blender.  Blend well.  Serve. 
Makes about 16 ounces




Sip-Sip & Enjoy!...





.

.

.

.
Tammy is the design enthusiast behind the blog, Tips, Treats & Treasures, where her creativity is explored with a mixture of her artistic abilities and style through her home decorating, thrifty finds, DIY and creative craft projects, along with her family favorite recipes. She shares through her blog her ideas and helpful tips on everything she has learned over the years and much of which she is passionate about in the hope of inspiring others, with her own unique style storytelling.