Candlestick Lamp make-over


I picked up this Candlestick Lamp at a thrifty Antique Mall I recently visited.  But, it wasn't looking this pretty when I found it!  I gave it a new look with a much needed make-over!  You may be asking, "Didn't she just do a *Candlestick make-over?"  Yes, I sure did.  However, this one is a different style, and I used a different technique for its make-over.


I like its new look and just as I had hoped it fits in well with my decor.  It's easy to find room for this little pretty just about anywhere in my home.  And, seriously, can a gal ever really have too many candlesticks?  Candlesticks and candle holders are great items to give a makeover.  Many possibilities and different looks can be achieved.

I think I see more of this in my future.  Yep, I'm sure there will be more!  I have a whole new outlook when I see something as I envision what it could look like, that then becomes the goal.  Transform it into something I will love ...like changing it from an ugly duckling to a beautiful swan!





This is how it looked when I found it!  Well, actually after I gave it a good cleaning that is.  The brass was looking aged and the beaded lamp shade was quite dusty, but overall in good condition.  On the day I got this they were having an in-store garage sale with lots of items reduced and this little lovely was on the marked down table of goodies.  I easily agreed with the two dollar and fifty-cent price of it, and I quickly added it to my must-have cart of thrifty treasures.  My crafty mind was planning its make-over and thinking of how pretty it was going to be afterwards.  

The lamp shade sparkled like new after a good cleaning, but the brass base needed some TLC!  I had just purchased some chalk paint in a color called 'timeless' and decided this was as good a time as any, to try it out.  And, I knew chalk paint was the perfect choice for giving this piece a new look.

I began by giving the brass a coat of the timeless chalk paint, and then let that dry a while.  Next I did a little dry-brush painting using white chalk paint over the first color, then allowed that to dry.  I applied a layer of clear wax over the paint and let that sit a while to dry before buffing it with a soft cloth.  I distressed it by removing the paint in a few areas and exposing the brass underneath by using a non-scratch scrub pad.  I love how the distressing reveals some of the brass underneath.  I finished by adding very minimal amounts of dark brown tinted wax in just a few spots, then quickly wiped it off with paper towels, followed by buffing over the whole thing with a soft cloth once again.

A close-up of the paint and detail.

I just knew when I picked up the 'timeless' chalk paint color I was really going to like it.  This paint technique proved to be just the look I was going for and it was actually better than I had imagined.  This being my 'experiment' piece, I can't wait to use the same technique on another project I have in mind for it!  My crafty mind is making plans again, as always!

I enjoy sharing these projects because I believe ... if I can do it, anyone can!







*You may also like this Candlestick make-over 



    

.

.

.

.
Tammy is the design enthusiast behind the blog, Tips, Treats & Treasures, where her creativity is explored with a mixture of her artistic abilities and style through her home decorating, thrifty finds, DIY and creative craft projects, along with her family favorite recipes. She shares through her blog her ideas and helpful tips on everything she has learned over the years and much of which she is passionate about in the hope of inspiring others, with her own unique style storytelling.