Candlestick make-over



One of my favorite things to do is to give something a make-over.  And, paint is one of the easiest ways to do that!



I picked up this candlestick on one of my trips to the flea market/thrift store for *drum-roll* ...seventy-five cents!  This is what it looks like now, after its transformation.  The picture below is the way it looked when I found it.




Not much of a beauty huh?  But I saw its great potential!  It's metal, a bit heavy, and had a deep bronze finish, but what I really liked about it (aside from the price), was the texture and knowing I could give it a good make-over.  A rainy afternoon, some chalk paint, along with a little clear and tinted wax, and my desire to transform it into something worthy of displaying in my home, all had it looking just perfect in a short amount of time.





After first cleaning it of dust and grime, I then painted it with white chalk paint, two coats were needed to cover it well.  After the paint dried I applied a coat of clear wax, and after a few minutes of drying time I lightly buffed it using a soft cotton cloth (an old t-shirt works well for this too, btw), the wax seals the paint and provides a protective coating, and after buffing it gives a nice sheen.








Next, I wiped on small amounts of dark brown tinted wax with a paint brush in small sections at a time and then quickly wiped it off using a paper towel.  I made sure to get wax into all the crevices and gently wiped over those areas to leave some wax in them.  The tinted wax gives an antiqued finish and tones down the bright white.  I buffed over the tinted wax with the cotton cloth after a few minutes dry time.   

I'm pleased with the new look of my candlestick.  I think it's a beauty now and it looks much better.  So worth the small amount of time and effort, and the seventy-five cents!  I love a good make-over project!  My trash-to-treasure, treasure, I can treasure!

...


I had been itching to get back to the flea market this week, I'd been missing it and I think I was suffering from withdrawals!  We certainly can't have that now can we?  I went on a little adventure to a new discovery of a place I'd noticed recently, and let's just say I got my fix and then some!  And, I certainly found some goodies I'll be sharing real soon!  




I hope you've had a nice weekend!....






.

.

.

.
Tammy is the design enthusiast behind the blog, Tips, Treats & Treasures, where her creativity is explored with a mixture of her artistic abilities and style through her home decorating, thrifty finds, DIY and creative craft projects, along with her family favorite recipes. She shares through her blog her ideas and helpful tips on everything she has learned over the years and much of which she is passionate about in the hope of inspiring others, with her own unique style storytelling.