Ceramic Plaque to Fancy Chalkboard



I think after previously making a chalkboard from a photo frame, and finding how easy it was, I've wanted to change just about everything I see into a new fancy chalkboard.  Well, now I have made another and this is the latest one I've done.







I picked up a plain, white, ceramic plaque at the thrift store knowing I could transform it by making it a chalkboard.  The price was only a buck-fifty for what appeared to me to be an un-finished ceramic plaque.  


I felt it would make a perfect-sized chalkboard to use in my home.  I already had chalkboard paint on hand in my paint supplies, and I had just purchased some pretty gold metalic craft-paint the day before. 

I couldn't wait to get started on the transformation of my thrifty treasure!  I gave the outer edges a new look with the pretty gold paint, 'champagne' is the actual color name.  I thought it was a gorgeous gold, and I loved the look of it even more so out of the bottle!  I painted on two layers of the gold paint, allowing time for drying between coats, and after the second layer I let it sit over night to dry thoroughly.





The next day I taped off the edge of the gold painted area using painters tape, then began applying the black chalkboard paint in the flat recessed area of the plaque.  I considered painting it free-hand but, I didn't want to make any mistakes on the newly painted gold area.  So taping seemed the best way to go.  Although I did tape it by using several small pieces, since it wasn't a straight line and in order to get the protected coverage, and clean edge I preferred.

I let the first layer of chalkboard paint dry, then painted on a second layer in the opposite direction -per the instructions on the paint bottle.  I did three layers in total of chalkboard paint.

And, before applying each additional layer I sanded over the chalkboard paint lightly using a fine grit sandpaper.  This, I feel helps to minimize brush marks in the paint if any, and smooths the surface.  This step isn't really necessary, I usually do this and prefer the look in the end if I've used a paint brush, or paint sponge, to apply the chalkboard paint.  Plus, I like the fine scratches that appear after chalk is used, it gives it an aged or used look.  It's a personal preference.






Note:  Before writing on the new chalkboard it needs to be "prepared or seasoned" by rubbing a piece of chalk over the entire chalkboard painted surface, then erased using either a chalkboard eraser, dry cloth, or paper towel.  This will prevent a 'ghosting effect' of the first thing ever written on the chalkboard.    



I used a paper towel and also rubbed in a circular motion all over the chalkboard surface.  This step can be messy, due to the chalk dust, so I recommend doing it over a sink, outside, over a trash can, or a surface you can clean up easily.



Here it is completed.  Now it's all ready and is a usable chalkboard.   I love it!




So, that is the first thing I wrote on it.  "Love it!" ...and, I really do!




Then, I began wondering what I might write on it to use in my dining room, for Thanksgiving.  The word "Gather" came to mind.  "Thankful" would also work well.





"Beautiful Fall" was the choice of words I have written on it for now, and I also drew on some falling leaves since we are having some beautiful fall colors right now, and the leaves are sure falling!  I love my new chalkboard, it was so easy to make, and it cost me so little.   And, I'm happy to use it and display it in my home!   


I have other painting projects in the works at the moment, not a chalkboard though!  Although, I feel there will be more chalkboards in the future, but for now there will definitely be some 'chalk paint' being used.  I'll be sharing another transformation/up-cycle of something real soon!  




Until then, as always, 


Happy Crafting!...




See another chalkboard project here: Easy DIY Chalkboard
















.

.

.

.
Tammy is the design enthusiast behind the blog, Tips, Treats & Treasures, where her creativity is explored with a mixture of her artistic abilities and style through her home decorating, thrifty finds, DIY and creative craft projects, along with her family favorite recipes. She shares through her blog her ideas and helpful tips on everything she has learned over the years and much of which she is passionate about in the hope of inspiring others, with her own unique style storytelling.