Fall Mantel


The fireplace and mantel is a great focal point and it's the perfect spot to decorate.  I have a nice wide fireplace surround and mantel with ample space to work with.  I wanted to keep the fall decorating to a minimum in our family room, where the fireplace is located, giving most of the attention to the mantel and continue with more of an overall neutral look.  Less of the typical fall orange.  Warm tones accompany the creamy white with bronze, browns, rust and golds, and a hint of burnt orange.  


~ My Fall Mantel ~  





It was mid-September as I was contemplating the changes to my fireplace mantel.  I love magnolias, the flowers, the leaves, they are beautiful trees that are common around here in Georgia and they're stunning when in bloom.  The huge flowers are eye-catching, and the fragrance is one of my all time favorites.  I decided in late summer to do my mantel with a magnolia theme.  Making the transition to fall was easy by adding a few fall elements.






Here is what I started with, before adding some fall-ness (is that a word?).  This is a photo taken at night, and for some reason the only one I took after I completed this look for the mantel.  I had plans to photograph it later ...but, life happens and sometimes things just don't go as planned!






I had previously purchased some faux magnolia flowers from hobby lobby on one of those half-off floral days.  Love those!  And, since then I had already put together the two floral arrangements.  I then found a gold framed magnolia art print, and a set of magnolia bookends at the antique mall while shopping with my daughter.  She actually pointed out the bookends to me, saying "those look like you Mom!" and with all of the items being priced just right, of course I had to have them!  These would work perfectly with my floral arrangements and add to my magnolia theme!






The mirror was also found that day, and that's when the plan came together in my mind of placing the framed print over the mirror.  A sparkly golden, wire-edged ribbon suspends the framed print.  The ribbon was slipped under the mirror frame and over the mirror. A knot secures it.  A clever solution!  I attached a pretty bow at the top, and my go-to 'wall-tack' keeps it in place.  The wooden letters (from Michael's) rest on the frame and definitely say "FALL."






Later, upon putting it all together I got the idea to turn the bookends upside down and use them as sconces.  Hubby helped by putting picture hangers on the back of them so I could hang them.  It will be easy enough to still use them as bookends again later on.




I had put together the two floral arrangements to flank both ends of the mantel.  The beautiful urns were thrifty treasures found earlier from a local antique shop and I couldn't wait to use them for my magnolia arrangements.





I tucked in bits of fall by using wheat, grasses, fall picks with berries and pine cones, along with the other foliage and the beautiful magnolias.  The floral arrangements now had a new look, and were dressed for fall!





I dressed up my candles with gold sparkle ribbons and tiny pine cones.  That's one of those simple and easy things I like to do and it creates a different look for plain candles.  My little bronze pumpkin and more pine cones completed the look.





My pretty lantern siting down below, got a little fall dressing too!  Some leaves and a ribbon tied into a simple bow, along with a fall-colored candle inside gave it a touch of fall. 





Fall brings the desire for a warm and cozy feel, a feeling of come sit a while and enjoy the fire.  Calm and relaxing.  That's what I hoped to achieve with my fall mantel.  I believe I succeeded, beautifully.  I love seeing the magnolias.  And, I'm loving that I can carry this look through the Thanksgiving holiday!



Fall-bulous!







.

.

.

.
Tammy is the design enthusiast behind the blog, Tips, Treats & Treasures, where her creativity is explored with a mixture of her artistic abilities and style through her home decorating, thrifty finds, DIY and creative craft projects, along with her family favorite recipes. She shares through her blog her ideas and helpful tips on everything she has learned over the years and much of which she is passionate about in the hope of inspiring others, with her own unique style storytelling.