Chicken Corn Chowder - Slow Cooker / Crock-pot - Easy!

I got my slow cooker/crock-pot out this week.  I can say it's officially fall to me now.  November is when I say "OK, it's fall."  The weather here in Georgia has been beautiful with warm days still lingering in the seventies, with cooler evenings.

Just cool enough for me to get my sweater or a light jacket on, but the Mister is thinking it's just perfect without the extra layer of clothing for him.  And, our pup, well, he seems to be loving it too, that and just lazying around of an evening out on the porch with us.  However, we did experience an even cooler dip in temperatures over the weekend.  I'm one who is never ready for cold!!!

Back to getting out the slow cooker.  Mine is actually never far away, I use it all year for cooking and I actually have two sizes, regular/large sized and a small one.  A couple days ago, in my larger slow cooker, I put together a hearty pot of Chicken Corn Chowder, and let me tell you the smell all the while it was cooking had my tummy growling all afternoon!


Also, let me tell you how simple this chowder was to make.  I put some ingredients in the slow cooker, then later gave it a little attention, added a few more ingredients and about a half hour more of cook time, then it was done.  Just that easy!  Dinner!!  I'll call this bowl of warmth, a hug in a bowl!

It was Delicious with a Capital D!  I had to up the corn in this dinner by making some cornbread ... uh, jalapeno cornbread that is.  I really like spicy stuff!  I could do another post on making my jalapeno cornbread, but my recipe is as simple as using Jiffy cornbread mix along with the ingredients called for on its package directions, and stirring in some diced jalapeno peppers and a bit of shredded cheese before baking.  Mmmm the sweetness of the Jiffy cornbread and the heat of the jalapenos is for me a perfect combination, and I love it!



The jalapeno cornbread was perfect with the chicken corn chowder, and with a bit of melted butter on top.  And I mean real butter too, not some fake posing like it's butter, butter, but it isn't!  Be good to your cornbread and give it real butter, and yourself too of course!  And, try this chowder, it did not disappoint.

Chunks of tender chicken and potatoes, bits of crumbled bacon, corn, onion, and green chilies, and loads of flavor in this creamy chowder.  Soups on!

  
Chicken Corn Chowder  


Ingredients:
2 large or 3 medium boneless skinless chicken breasts
6 small red or gold potatoes, cut into 1-inch pieces (I prefer red potatoes, I didn't peel mine)
1 small or 1/2-medium white or yellow onion, diced
2 cans cream-style corn
1 -8 ounce can diced green chiles
4 cups low sodium chicken broth
2 cups heavy cream or half & half for a lighter version
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon original Mrs Dash(optional- just a favorite flavor no-salt seasoning of mine!)
1/2 teaspoon seasoned salt
1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
4-6 strips bacon, diced and cooked til crispy
1/2 cup mild cheddar cheese, shredded for garnish(optional)
salt and pepper to taste


Directions:
Place chicken, potatoes, green chiles, onion, and corn in slow cooker. Pour chicken broth carefully over other ingredients.  Stir to combine, then cover and cook on low for 6 hours.
Uncover slow cooker and carefully remove chicken breast to a cutting surface and use two forks to shred chicken or cut into bite sized chunks.  Carefully place chicken back into the slow cooker.
Stir in heavy cream, garlic powder, Mrs Dash, seasoned salt, cumin, 1/2 of the bacon-(I saved 1/2 for garnish), salt-if needed, and pepper to taste, then cook another 15-20 minutes.
Garnish with shredded cheese, bacon bits, and cracked black pepper, and serve hot.




Enjoy!...






.

.

.

.
Tammy is the design enthusiast behind the blog, Tips, Treats & Treasures, where her creativity is explored with a mixture of her artistic abilities and style through her home decorating, thrifty finds, DIY and creative craft projects, along with her family favorite recipes. She shares through her blog her ideas and helpful tips on everything she has learned over the years and much of which she is passionate about in the hope of inspiring others, with her own unique style storytelling.